Monday, April 8, 2013

Applesauce Cake

For someone who is German-American, a natural-toymaker, and interested in alternative education, being aware of the Waldorf world was pretty much a given.  There are many things that I find really attractive about Waldorf (which I would describe as a life philosophy rather than an education method).  There is a simplicity and rhythm to life, a desire to appreciate nature (including the food production process), and gratitude and celebration for all of life's moments, big and small.  What's better, is that no child is too young to take part.

So when I saw the charming Waldorf Kindergarten Snack book with it's sweet illustrations, wholesome recipes, and little fun facts, I knew I had to try something.*  I selected applesauce cake, because I really love applesauce.

Check the recipe out below!




I made some gluten-free modifications.  It was delicious, but very sweet.  I will be cutting back on the honey next time.




Applesauce Cake

1 stick butter
1 cup honey (I will be using 3/4 of a cup next time.  It was WAY too sweet).
2 cups applesauce (I used homemade)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups rice flour
2/3 cups teff flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp. cinnamon (use more!)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I always omit)
2 tsp. baking soda

Butter and flour your pan or line your muffin tins.  Cream butter and honey together.  Stir applesauce and vanilla in.  Add the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Mix into wet ingredients until combined.  Pour your batter into the prepared pan or muffin tins.  Bake at 325 for 60 min+ (is using a bundt pan) or 25 min (if using a muffin tin).  Cool thoroughly and serve.  It is delicious, moist, and freezes very well.

*Sidenote: while I love many parts of Waldorf philosophy, there are others I find odd, and occasionally those I would call "troubling."  The Snack Book contains warnings against eating bananas because they don't contain "vitalizing force."  Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment