Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Strawberry Cake

Mmmmmmmm, delicious.  That's what I thought when I saw that cake on this sweetly-named website.  My first foray into gluten-free sweets was a pretty delicious success.  I (as usual) made a couple changes to suit my tastes, what I had, and what was in season.  Without further ado, pics (cause you know you want them) and my adaptations.






Oh yum.  Next time I make this, I will experiment with full fat Greek yogurt in place of the butter, and see what happens.  For now, here's what I did, very very slightly adapted from My Darling Lemon Thyme's lovely recipe.

Ingredients:
-4 eggs
-2/3 cups sugar (I used slightly less)
-125g butter, very very soft
-2 3/4 cup ground almonds
-1/3 cup gluten free flour blend
-2 tsp GERMAN baking powder (you only need one if you're in the states)
-Zest of one lemon (I did a little squeeze of juice, too)
-1/2 cup + halved strawberries

Mix the almonds, flour, baking powder, and zest together until combined.  Set aside.  Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale.  Add the butter and beat until smooth (here's where I added a little lemon juice, I like lemony!).  Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones.  Press strawberries all over the top of the cake.  Bake at 350 (or 180 celsius) for 35-40 minutes.  I baked mine in a shallower cake tin, so it took less time.  Not quite sure how long that was.  Oops!

Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment