Sunday, July 22, 2012

Honey Butter Cornbread


When I was little, one of my favorite weekend breakfasts was cornbread dotted with butter and covered doused in real maple syrup.  This was also my dad's favorite breakfast, so the two of us would sit at our kitchen island and talk politics and eat syrupy cornbread.  I felt awfully grown up.

Unfortunately, the long list of ingredients on out boxed cornbread mix scared me long before they were actually off limits.  I don't think partially hydrogenated vegetable oil belongs in any meal, much less breakfast.  Today, I had a real breakfast cornbread craving, and with all the ingredients tucked safely in my fridge and cupboard, I decided to go for it.  The results were, in a word, perfect.  In fact, I'm devouring a nice big piece with butter and syrup as we speak.



Keep reading for the natural, sweet, wholesome, and delicious version of my favorite cornbread from childhood.

Ingredients:
-2 cups cornmeal
-.5 cups cornflour (NOT corn starch)
-1 tsp. baking soda
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt (ooops, I forgot!)
-1.5 cups whole milk
-.5 cups plain yogurt (I used 1.5% because it's what I had.  Whole would be yummier)
-3 tbs. butter, melted and slightly cooled
-1 egg
-2-4 tbs honey (I used 2 and my cornbread turned out slightly sweet, just the way I like it)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Melt the butter and set aside to cool to room temperature.  In the meantime, combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Whisk to combine.  Combine the milk, yogurt, egg, and honey in another bowl.  Whisk together until smooth.  Add the butter and whisk again until combined.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until smooth.  Pour into a nonstick pan (I used a 10-inch springform, but a cake pan would work) and bake for 20-30 minutes or until done.

Makes 8 generous portions.

*Note: If I'd had any, I would have left the honey out entirely and just put tons of fresh fruit in.  I think blueberry cornbread should be next on the list ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment